How To Step Up Your Shoe Game
If you’re not a natural shoe obsessive, then you may not have realised the power shoes can bring to your wardrobe. Amping up your shoe game can create entirely new looks from your existing outfits, turn heads, and give you a confidence boost. However, we often fall into the same patterns and just revert to the same old shoes that we always wear. Here's a few tips and suggestions on boosting your shoe collection to Carrie Bradshaw levels.
Breaking out of your comfort zone, can still be comfortable. If you normally opt for flats and slides for comfort reasons but are looking to add some heels into your rotation then you have options. Block heels and kitten heels are excellent options to amp up your shoe game. A kitten heel is smaller in height but an elegant alternative to slides or sandals. A block heel can give you more height but its wider base gives you more stability. Wedges and flat-forms also work in the same way, giving you height but spreading your body weight more evenly over the entire sole of your foot making them almost as comfortable as walking barefoot.
Investing in a quality pair of heels is a fashion rite of passage. Rather than buying a bunch of cheaper heels that hurt your feet and barely last a season, invest in classic and timeless heels that won’t date or wear out.
Things to look for:
1) Artisanship – Check where they’re made and the skill of the people making them. Shoe making is a true craft and some of our in store designers are second or third generation artisans.
2) Materials – You’ll pay more for leather and more again for Italian leather but you’ll feel that investment when you’re out and about and feel like you’re walking on a cloud.
3) Lining – Pay attention to the insole. Some shoes state they’re made of leather but this doesn’t apply to the inner that is made of synthetic material. Also if the shoe only has lining on the bottom but not the sides, it won’t be as comfortable. Equally, natural materials like leather absorb moisture and allow your foot to breathe.
Heels are a no-brainer for pumping up your shoe game but that doesn’t mean slides or flats can bring some statement. Play with colour, metallics, fur, and pearl details. You’ll be amazed at the way a simple sandal or slide can elevate a classic jeans and tee.
It’s easy to reach for your trusty trainers or slides during the week and then save your heels or statement shoes for the weekend. However, there’s something fun and empowering about wearing a heel on a Monday or adding some colour to your work shoe collection. Set yourself a shoe challenge – can you wear a heel everyday of the week? Or bring in a pink ballet flat to your off duty looks.
Finally, if you feel that your boots have seen better days, fear not. A few simple tips and we can help you find your perfect fit.
- Buy your basics first - if you don't know where to start, always make sure you have a black & brown that will be versatile in your wardrobe.
- Invest in Leather. While leather boots are dearer, they will stand the test of time. A good boot can be in yours for many years if you buy the right one.
- Leather will stretch. Does your boot feel a bit snug when you first slide your foot in? Perfect, it is important not to forget that leather will stretch and soften over time. This means it will mold to your foot for the most comfortable strut.
Feeling inspired to play with some new styles?